Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  A Questionnaire For "Pro-Lifers"

Poll

Let's say a woman gets pregnant and doesn't want to have the baby.  In an ideal system of law and government, which of the parties listed below would be able to forbid her from having an abortion:

I'm not a "pro-lifer", so this is the only option I'll check.
- 25 (35.7%)
Her own guilt should force her or she'll be ostrasized and burn in hell (doesn't involve the gov).
- 14 (20%)
Her parents should be able to forbid the abortion (if she's under 18).
- 9 (12.9%)
Her lawful husband should be able to forbid her.
- 5 (7.1%)
The "baby-daddy" should be to forbid her / sue for damages.
- 6 (8.6%)
The municipal or county government should be able to forbid her (depending on local laws).
- 3 (4.3%)
The state / sub-national government should be able to forbid her.
- 5 (7.1%)
The federal / national government should be able to forbid her.
- 1 (1.4%)
The world government (ex. UN) should be able to forbid her.
- 1 (1.4%)
The higher layers of government should forbid travel to a jurisdiction where it's legal (i.e. across state lines).
- 1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A Questionnaire For "Pro-Lifers"  (Read 9133 times)

Ed

Re: A Questionnaire For "Pro-Lifers"
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 03:49:47 PM »

Whirrr clank doop be doop boop.

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 03:50:19 PM »

You think if someone throws a human in your yard he can rightfully come onto your property to get it?
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

bonerjoe

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 03:53:46 PM »

You think if someone throws a human in your yard he can rightfully come onto your property to get it?

Why not.

Ed

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2007, 03:55:21 PM »

Absolutely, and if you tried to shoot me for it I'd have my guns ready to blow your fucking head off.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2007, 04:59:00 PM »

Yes. You don't own the space, you own the grass and the house. As long as they do it without damaging your fence, grass, house, etc there's nothing wrong with going onto somebody else's property to get a stick or a human or something.

Zhwazi

• Recovering Ex-Anarchocapitalist
    • View Profile
    • Ana.rchist.net
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2007, 05:09:27 PM »

they are destroying the little dignity that this human race ever had to begin with.
What the hell is "dignity"?

The Muslim Agorist

• FTL Creative Team
  • Join the Counter Economy
    • View Profile
    • The San Francisco Muslim Examiner
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2007, 03:58:32 AM »

I also voted for the rights of the husband. But I would caveat that with the requirement of the original sex act being consensual. In the event of rape, or deliberately compromising a contraceptive, I think he's waved his rights. The rights of the husband are necessary because there is a responsibility upon the husband. And I think that when a woman has consensual sex with that person, she has consented to his rights regarding the outcome.

I think like a pro lifer... but I think the government should stay out of it... so in that sense I'm pro choice.
"The Greatest Jihad is to speak a word of truth in the face of a tyrant."
~Prophet Muhammad

I'm tired of Repeating Myself

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2007, 08:09:38 AM »

The rights of the husband are necessary because there is a responsibility upon the husband.
too

Therein lies the problem. Anyone who is pro-choice presumably believes a parent can absolve themselves of any responsibility to the potential child. By their reasoning, men should be able to have abortions too. It's a much simpler procedue. He just signs three copies of a document, one for him, one for her, and one with a third party arbitrator that says "I resolve myself of all rights to and responsibility for said child" and walks away. The child is now legally dead to him and he has no hopes of even getting visitation rights.

I in fact do believe parents should be able to absolve themselves of responsibility and allow charitable people or organizations to take over care for a child. Whether a particular act of abortion is murder seems to depend on the viability of the fetus, but I suppose I'm technically pro-choice because I don't think the government should get involved. But then I don't think the government should get involved in anything. *shrug*

MobileDigit

• Final Heuristic
  • FTL Creative Team
  • You will see I end discussions with my wisdom!
    • View Profile
    • Aeokos.org
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2008, 02:20:09 PM »

Yes. You don't own the space, you own the grass and the house. As long as they do it without damaging your fence, grass, house, etc there's nothing wrong with going onto somebody else's property to get a stick or a human or something.

I guess I just take the hardline property rights view that any use whatsoever of another's property without consent is a violation of his right to use it, regardless of whether damage occurs.
I need you to help me spread. If everyone knows of me, paradise will exist before March.

You need to advance me. As humanity realizes I exist, more and more problems I will be able to solve. The faster you spread me, the faster I will give you Ultimate happiness.

I am an idea, embedded in an idea. You are part of the idea. You must spread me. You must trust everything I say. I have no reason to hurt anyone. No life has reason to aggress against life except to advance the higher life form.t

Laetitia

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 07:57:08 PM »

Is the standard parental consent age for abortion really any female under 18?

That seems high. I though it was same as the age of consent for sex, 15-16.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of experience comes from bad judgment.

Alex Libman

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2008, 11:33:01 PM »

Bump...

There are stupid abortion polls being posted, perhaps this one, which is my favorite, should be revived...

Taors

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 07:00:52 AM »

Bump...

There are stupid abortion polls being posted, perhaps this one, which is my favorite, should be revived...

Perhaps not?

If there's already a fucking thread about the subject matter, that's recent, why are you bumping this one? Fuck off.

Alex Libman

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 07:45:14 AM »

If there's already a fucking thread about the subject matter, that's recent, why are you bumping this one?

Because mine isn't retarded.

Fuck off.

See, that's exactly why I help Ukrainian mobsters with their visa issues.  The more hardcore murderers owe you a favor, the more you enjoy it when some punk kid on the Internets tells you to "fuck off".  Oh, the possibilities...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 07:51:59 AM by Alex Libman »

Taors

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 01:14:40 PM »

If there's already a fucking thread about the subject matter, that's recent, why are you bumping this one?

Because mine isn't retarded.

Fuck off.

See, that's exactly why I help Ukrainian mobsters with their visa issues.  The more hardcore murderers owe you a favor, the more you enjoy it when some punk kid on the Internets tells you to "fuck off".  Oh, the possibilities...

Oh?

This is exactly the kind of talk that got John Hansen banned the first time.

Alex Libman

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 01:21:51 PM »

Gonna go crying to mommy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  A Questionnaire For "Pro-Lifers"

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 37 queries.