Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Rubber Room - Not Safe for Work
| | |-+  Why the opposition to pacifism?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Why the opposition to pacifism?  (Read 34288 times)

mrapplecastle

• autonomist
    • View Profile
Re: Why the opposition to pacifism?
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2010, 01:37:54 AM »

I sure am glad I dont have john busting my balls, it looks painful. Hugs!  :D

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #196 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:48 PM »

As a small addendum to this whole mess -

Here is the newest thread by Pizzly.

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=35052.0

I'm starting to think there might be no actual orange in this oh-so-yummy soda.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

BonerJoe

« Reply #197 on: September 16, 2010, 12:43:44 PM »

Soda? But it's not made of beans.

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #198 on: September 16, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »

As a small addendum to this whole mess -

Here is the newest thread by Pizzly.

http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=35052.0

I'm starting to think there might be no actual orange in this oh-so-yummy soda.

Guy seems like the type that just says emo-wit type shit in an attempt to be clever/ironic/deep

Complete the image with the Hello Kitty lunch box and pink belt, walking down the street holding a length of yarn with a tree limb tied to the other end......... or whatever. Like, "hey, look at me, im doing something strange.......... im artsy, im a poet" :roll:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 09:18:46 PM by quickmike »
Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

alaric89

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2010, 04:32:27 PM »

I don't think Pizzly is a troll. I have tried to pick a fight a couple of times, and no bites. He and Dale have more than pacifism in commen I find that interesting. Not judgemental or anything just curious if gays have a tendency to strive for true pacifism http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=23483.45 (truth is I don't deal with openly gay people very often in my day to day, the ones I have met are shocked at my "I could give two shits about it" attitude and seemed a little intimidated by me) *
*Libertarians are fucking rare in Norway.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2010, 07:16:55 PM »

I don't think Pizzly is a troll. I have tried to pick a fight a couple of times, and no bites. He and Dale have more than pacifism in commen I find that interesting. Not judgemental or anything just curious if gays have a tendency to strive for true pacifism http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=23483.45 (truth is I don't deal with openly gay people very often in my day to day, the ones I have met are shocked at my "I could give two shits about it" attitude and seemed a little intimidated by me) *
*Libertarians are fucking rare in Norway.

Yeah, he seems to be posting coherent arguments on subject at the moment. Maybe he has learned to stay out of certain arguments and go with what he understands............ maybe hes not a troll.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2010, 07:56:36 PM »

...for some reason, when I read his posts it sounds like this voice in my head...

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2010, 08:33:10 PM »

LOL

Pizzly

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2010, 10:08:03 PM »

Peace isn't loving your neighbor, peace is simply not killing them.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
  • No king but Christ; no law but liberty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »

If every single human were a pacifist, then pacifism would make sense. If every human were capable of being convinced of the wrongdoing of their actions, and more importantly, if they cared, then pacifism would still be a defensible position. But in the real world, there is such a thing as pure evil. There are such things as people who kill because they like it. If everyone who had the basic human ability to make moral decisions chose pacifism, then the ones who are left - the truly evil cases, the ones who are more like animals than humans, would simply kill until they got too physically tired, or bored, or ran out of victims. How can absolute refusal to defend the innocent against initiatory force be anything but an anti-life view? How can one claim to be in favor of innocent life if one would not end that which would destroy innocent life utterly if it had the power to do so?
I am an anarchist! HOOGA BOOGA BOOGA!!

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 12, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »

Do you guys realize how similar these tactics are to those of many statists?

Describe elaborate problem that no one has a perfect solution for-- crime, traffic accidents, drug abuse, war.

Therefore -> THE STATE. (Which has drastically failed to solve these problems as well)

So if I don't have a perfect answer for some carefully contrived problem (like whichever graphically depicted rape scenario), I have to accept your solution exactly as presented, even though it's clearly not a perfect solution either?

We're not arguing from effect here; we're arguing the validity of moral principles. If you can't take a moral principle to its absolute theoretically possible extreme (which means it can be absurdly unlikely, but still theoretically possible) without contradicting yourself, then the principle is false.

Pacifism (defined as absolute refusal to use force in any scenario) is inconsistent whilst one is protected from the violent by those willing to use defensive force, unless the pacifist also disapproves of the choice of others to use violence on his behalf. And in that case it is no longer a "personal choice" but an absolute moral proposition. And as an absolute moral proposition, it would result in all those persons capable of choosing pacifism dead at the hands of those pathological cases who are not so capable. In other words, the persistence of the principle depends upon its violation in some cases.

That is a contradiction, and it renders the proposition false. But there is no such contradiction in proportional, defensive force as permitted by the non-aggression principle.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »

Eric. EricFromMichigan on the boards. Massive troll. He used the same methods as this dude, and the same methods as Nathyn.

Wait... Nathyn was on here? Holy crap, I've been dealing with that jackhole since 2003 on the Protest Warrior board, back in my neocon days. He followed some of us to a smaller forum when PW went down, and I bet $20 he found his way to this bbs when a few people from that site started coming here.

Ecolitan

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2010, 10:51:11 PM »

I think it is about the commonly perceived definition: I think many people see pacifism not in the non-aggression principle way (self defense = OK) but in a way that says that you must remain a victim/nonviolent/weak in the face of trouble. I might include myself in one of those people who define "pacifism" that way. I may also be drunk.

that's because any other way to use the word "pacifist" is fucking retarded.

NOT agressing against people is what the overwhelming majority of people believe in.  NOT defending yourself is what a very few people believe in.  No need to make a word for the overwhelming majority, you can just call them people who aren't intensionally criminal.

–noun
a person who believes in pacifism or is opposed to war or to violence of any kind.

emphasis added by me

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2010, 09:40:45 PM »

But in the real world, there is such a thing as pure evil.

I don't believe in evil.  But obviously you do, so if that's what you believe then perhaps your other beliefs that derive from that make sense.  I know that violence is not the only deterrent for anti-social behavior so I reject the notion that "evil" will overwhelm the world and wipe out all the peaceful people if it's not destroyed.

MacFall

• Agorist
  • FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »

Okay, fine - forget "evil" and just go with pathologically violent people who lack the moral capacity to choose to be peaceful. They DO exist, as a matter of fact, no matter what you call them.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Rubber Room - Not Safe for Work
| | |-+  Why the opposition to pacifism?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 32 queries.