Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Rubber Room - Not Safe for Work
| | |-+  Other must be exprincing this issue two?!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Other must be exprincing this issue two?!  (Read 17350 times)

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
Re: Other must be exprincing this issue two?!
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »

You know.. a better way to put that might be:

You have a jaded audience here. We know the score with politics, we know proper morality in the form of the NAP. We're all kin in that sense. Having new blood, especially those who approach our outlook with opposing viewpoints, is entertaining. However, simply running them off is dull - and it gives no time for them to see, and eventually succumb, to our point of view.

Magnify that a little from my perspective. There are endless misconceptions about race, slavery, prejudice & bigotry in the US. Very few people will be honest about these issues, and even fewer will be honest about them in knowledgeable & intellectual ways. That's where I come in - happy to discuss the topic of my interest.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »

Naw the one dude got banned for this -

I totally agree. If the public schools teach Johnny that it's okay to be a homosexual, but then when he's walking home, he sees a sign, "Help Wanted, but smokers and queers need not apply." and he walks in to ask the owner why, and the owner says they don't need a bunch of queers working for them, that might be Johnny's first exposure to the truth, that there is something wrong with homosexuals. The homos and their supporters keep trying to label people as "homophobic" if they realize that there's something wrong with the queers, or even taunt the sensible people by implying that they are queers if they realize there's something wrong with being a queer.

This is especially true for hospitals. They are in the business of helping sick people get healthy. Smoking makes healthy people sick, and homosexuals are just plain sick.

Gotcha. Just skimmed that & probably switched "queer" and "faggot" in my head.

Still think it's funner to toy with people a little first.

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2011, 04:25:36 PM »

Several other users have constantly pushed the edge of the race crap. They have never been banned. Blackie comes to mind with his "Chimpin' out" thread. Blackie isn't even on the radar of being banned. I wasn't a fan of that thread and thought is was really uncool. Pretty sure that was him. Might be wrong.
Yeah, that was me.  http://bbs.freetalklive.com/general/chimpin'-out-in-ct/

Strangely enough, that was me poking fun of Aunt Bee a little bit. I learned the "chimpin' out" phrase from Aunt Bee. I was about to post the news story I thought "If I was Aunt Bee, what would I title this thread?"

Aunt Bee, are you really surprised that someone might think you have an issue with black people?

I wouldn't be surprised if someone thought I was antisemitic. I start a lot of Jew/Israel threads and have posted links/quotes of holocaust denier stuff. People complained about too much Jew talk, so I tried to cut it down to just one thread. With the new rules, it seems best for me not to post in that thread anymore. Meh. So what, who cares?

Yeah I musta not even read the chimpin thread. Sorry for implying motivations without cause yo. Again my bad.
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:48 PM »

I totally missed this post the first time around.

Is cracker a baked piece of dough or a racist comment? Context.

And as for Chink, Faggot, Spic, Kyke ?

I don't expect you guys to sit around and dream up every conceivable term to filter. I think it's stupid that this avenue has even been opened. The decision to filter only The N Word and a few variations of it is plainly juvenile. It's understood that using The N Word is pretty juvenile also. My expectations were too high & I'll get over it.

You have constantly pushed the edge of the race issue. You have never been banned.

Disagree with ya, entirely. Openly discussing race isn't pushing the edge. Hate speech would. But I haven't even approached that line. If I have, give the quote.

You will win this as soon as you drop the proof that I'm a racist. You'll lose by continuing to put me on the defensive by constant accusations with nothing to back it up (at least that's how it works in an honest discussion).

Aunt Bee, are you really surprised that someone might think you have an issue with black people?

Not at all. It's the condition of the times.

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »

hellbilly, do you live in Tennessee?

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2011, 09:09:50 PM »

-Dragline. You guys closed ranks as soon as he was kicked off the board, over a personal attack on a member of the BBS. There have been personal attacks here as long as I can remember. Then the issue was swept under the rug. If personal attacks are an offense that deserves banning, maybe you're next. I declare that someone called me an asshole, a dick and they also said fuck you and for me to go sit in the woods! Gracious me.. you are certainly the Barney Fife to my Aunt Bee.

That is incorrect. Dude had long since (Fucking years ago) earned a ban. He was tolerated.

Then he pushed past the edge of tolerance and fell. Fuck him.

Not only that, but I wrote a giant fucking email to him offering to let him back in, which never got sent because he couldn't keep his fucking trap shut and bitched and bitched and bitched and continued to attack me all over the FTL chat channel. That was two days into the ban.

So fuck him.

Cross the fuzzy gray line between "Aw shucks I wuz only joking n' stuff." and "I hate the fucking X." and you get a hammer up the asshole.

I will not clearly define the line. It is a judgement call. If you're worried about whether the thing you are about to say is too close to the fuzzy gray line, take a step back from it.

Also, YOU HAVE HAD TO OPEN YOUR FUCKING MOUTH AND RANT EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. RACE. IS. EVER. BROUGHT. UP.

You have a chip on your shoulder about race. You don't wanna be called a racist, but you have a fucking major issue with the topic. It's swinging in the wind like a bare cock and you've never been fooling anyone about it. Check yourself.

Hi John (and everyone else).......  your brother FTL/LRN chatroom moderator here.

Just wanted to add that I too just permanately banned Mr. Dragline from the chat for repeated homophobic and racist comments.  He was firing off the N word in the presence of a new chatter from, wait for it..............  GHANA!!!!!!!!!!  I explained to Mr. Line that racism and homophobia is completely unacceptable in the liberty movement and got rid of him. 

I came to find out that he was causing problems here as well. 

I told him if he disagreed with me...  he was welcome to appeal to Ian, but I know for a fact Ian doesn't tolerate racist or homophobic bullshit either.

Just wanted to share!

- Brad
-/-

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2011, 09:13:43 PM »

You will win this as soon as you drop the proof that I'm a racist. You'll lose by continuing to put me on the defensive by constant accusations with nothing to back it up (at least that's how it works in an honest discussion).

Dude I stopped accusing you of being racist almost two years ago.

Doesn't mean I don't think you have a fixation with the topic going on.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »

Hi John (and everyone else).......  your brother FTL/LRN chatroom moderator here.

Just wanted to add that I too just permanately banned Mr. Dragline from the chat for repeated homophobic and racist comments.  He was firing off the N word in the presence of a new chatter from, wait for it..............  GHANA!!!!!!!!!!  I explained to Mr. Line that racism and homophobia is completely unacceptable in the liberty movement and got rid of him. 

I came to find out that he was causing problems here as well. 

I told him if he disagreed with me...  he was welcome to appeal to Ian, but I know for a fact Ian doesn't tolerate racist or homophobic bullshit either.

Just wanted to share!

- Brad

Thanks for the heads up mang.

*High Five*

Dragqueen shoulda just quit while he was ahead and he'd have been unbanned in a week or two. As soon as I heard he was posting in the chat channel I saved the email I was writing him and put it away. I still have it and maybe down the line I'll reconsider. Too bad he shit on your doorstep.

Highline

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:13 PM »

You're most welcome.

I tried hard to explain that we want to WELCOME new people from around the world who support the ideas of liberty, not make them think we're a bunch of bigoted homophobes.

He couldn't quite grasp the idea.

Ah well.

8)
-/-

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:25 PM »

Fred- nope, I'm in NC.

Dude I stopped accusing you of being racist almost two years ago.

Doesn't mean I don't think you have a fixation with the topic going on.

I say that because I really do feel like you're trying to brand me as a racist. If you aren't then I do apologize.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2011, 10:11:15 PM »

I say that because I really do feel like you're trying to brand me as a racist. If you aren't then I do apologize.

I'm not trying to control other people's judgement of anything you say. You denied being a racist. I stopped calling you one.

I also responded to your PM.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 05:21:50 AM »

[youtube]H_yFprgXIF4[/youtube].

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

I've already made the point about the selective word filtering. Don't consider yourself a champion against racism while simultaneously modding a BBS that allows the words Chink, Spic & Faggot to be used. Don't think anything else needs to be said.

I just banned two people for saying faggot in an attacky way yesterday.

betterjoboutlook and SeeStraight

IT'S NOT (ALWAYS) THE WORD ITSELF THAT IS THE ISSUE.

Niggardly use of the ban-hammer. Guess it is your tar-baby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »

I've already made the point about the selective word filtering. Don't consider yourself a champion against racism while simultaneously modding a BBS that allows the words Chink, Spic & Faggot to be used. Don't think anything else needs to be said.

I just banned two people for saying faggot in an attacky way yesterday.

betterjoboutlook and SeeStraight

IT'S NOT (ALWAYS) THE WORD ITSELF THAT IS THE ISSUE.

Niggardly use of the ban-hammer. Guess it is your tar-baby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_about_the_word_%22niggardly%22

That's good info.

Also this: Tar Baby, linked from within the article above.

And relating to "Tar Baby" - dunno if any of you have seen the Disney movie Song of the South, which was/is banned in the US for it's supposed racist content, but it's good. Watched it with my kids and we thought it was great, and it provided an opportunity for discussion about slavery. I didn't see anything racist at all in the movie.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »

Uncle Remus (From the books) was a happy slave who sits around telling stories to kids. None of the stories are racist. The framing of the narration with a "Happy" slave who speaks in slave dialect (Very specifically slave dialect, and the character is indeed a slave.) pisses off a lot of black people the same way Uncle Tom does.

I wouldn't personally say that Song of the South was a racist film, however I would definitely say that it draws up a bunch of:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnfortunateImplications

EDIT: When I was a kid I thought Br'er Rabbit was as cool as all fuck.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:22:09 AM by John Shaw »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Rubber Room - Not Safe for Work
| | |-+  Other must be exprincing this issue two?!

// ]]>

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 32 queries.