Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?  (Read 89151 times)

AL the Inconspicuous

Re: What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?
« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »

Well, like laws of physics, they exist whether you "buy into" them or you don't.  The basic idea is that certain social rulesets are necessary / ideal for civilization to flourish, including respect for individual rights.  A society that routinely fails to punish theft and murder is very unlikely to make it past the hunter-gatherer stage of human development.  The society that violates those rights the least has a competitive advantage over those that violate them more.  What part of that escapes you?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 03:46:10 PM by Alex Libman »

hayenmill

• Anarchist Without Adjectives
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2009, 05:06:21 PM »

Well, like laws of physics, they exist whether you "buy into" them or you don't.  The basic idea is that certain social rulesets are necessary / ideal for civilization to flourish, including respect for individual rights.  A society that routinely fails to punish theft and murder is very unlikely to make it past the hunter-gatherer stage of human development.  The society that violates those rights the least has a competitive advantage over those that violate them more.  What part of that escapes you?

The part where you actually prove they exist.

I certainly understand the advantage of having freedom, recognition of property and validity of contracts, but these are neither axioms, nor self-evident.

In order for natural rights to be natural then it would NOT require any sort of entity to enforce them. By such very definition, a free society requires the enforcement of the ideas it finds advantageous. But this means then, that such ideas are not rights , but merely privileges. And whether such entities act or not to enforce them means some will get the privileges while others won't.

Ultimately it all boils down to community agreements and intersubjective agreements. There is no such thing as objective rights.
IGNORANCE IS SLAVERY

FREEDOM IS STRENGTH

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »

Google image search for "anarcho capitalist flag."

We rock.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2009, 11:59:48 PM »

Google image search for "anarcho capitalist flag."

We rock.
Sweet.  We pwn google.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2010, 04:45:32 PM »

Big thumbs up to Txoria's avatar:

Random thought of the moment: AnCap flag with OpenBSD's "Puffy" mascot (a porcupine fish), perhaps one with space armor or guns but I'm not sure I like the idea enough yet.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 04:59:39 PM by Alex Libman »

Beefheart

« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2010, 03:37:26 AM »

I picked zee symbols and my buddy assembled them together for me. I have another friend who will make a real one for us. I like it quite a lot. The symbol in the center stands for "harmony", "purity", and "protection"-- I'm hoping to illustrate the bond between order/justice and anarchy.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2010, 04:25:07 AM »

Awesome!  :D

I might have more feedback about this.  Do you know which Chinese character exactly is in the middle (I can't read the cursive style)?  In my ideal vision the hand-print would have a dollar sign, because they both symbolize identity and consequences of one's actions, and the scale would have the anarchy symbol, meaning equal negative rights.  Also, having a third color appear only in the black portion creates a bit of a visual imbalance, though I'm not sure offhand what would be better.

Beefheart

« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2010, 05:24:54 AM »

I believe its Japanese in origin. Its a symbol from the spiritual practice of Reiki, which is "healing without energy depletion".

I decided against the use of the dollar sign. I didn't want to create something too alienating or negative in connotation (or at least, not anymore negative than anarchism is seen already). The dollar sign is but an extension of the individual, a tool used by the free-thinking, independent man. If anything the use of gold instead of yellow may suggest my appeal to the use of real money. The hand being white stands out a bit, and I've been thinking about it, but I like it still. It would have looked weired were it golden. I decided that it benefited to have a human hand stand out. The uniqueness of this one individual hand is meant to stand out separate from the ("collective") whole like the individual is not just a part of a faceless mob. To me it exemplifies the indivisibility and individuality of every man, and the (A) in the hand is to suggest that every man is anarchist in the gut of his belly. I realize it may not be stylistically a good idea, and perhaps a bit of a stretch, but I still love it quite a bit. I feel like its my own.  :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:50:11 AM by Beefheart »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2010, 05:59:35 AM »

It's not kana, but probably a weird calligraphic stylization of a kanji character.  I studied East Asian linguistics a little bit once (what a waste of time!), but I still can't recognize that symbol, or even its radical.  The problem with kanji is that it's very irrational and inaccurate, where one character can have a dozen different meanings depending on context.  How can you be sure it doesn't also mean "obedience", for example?  The history of the Chinese (and later Japanese) characters is filled with examples of state control imposing certain "politically correct" cognitive associations in the way the characters are formed, not unlike Orwellian NewSpeak.  Associations with Chinese characters in my mind also connote mysticism, backwardness, lack of clarity, and style over substance.

It's sad for me that you want to avoid using capitalist symbols (the dollar sign or its equivalent) due to potential negative connotation.  In my mind symbols for anarchy and capitalism balance each-other out and correct each-other's flaws - one without the other is tyranny.

I see your point about the hand, but I still have some nitpicks about it, like the way it is stylized without fingerprints, which slightly reduces the connotation of individuality and human proximity, as if the person is wearing gloves.

I hope you'll take my psychoanalysis / nitpicking of your work in the constructive spirit in which it was intended - it's your flag, and there's no right or wrong way to do it.  I'm just offering my complete braindump of every detail, just in case it might be helpful in some way.  Once again, I really do like the flag overall.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Photoshops
| | |-+  What'd you add to *your* version of the Anarcho-Capitalist flag?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 32 queries.