Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Did you DISlike the Landmark Show?

Poll

Did you DISlike the Landmark Show?

Yes, I thought it was bad.
No, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either.
No. I liked it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you DISlike the Landmark Show?  (Read 5708 times)

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Did you DISlike the Landmark Show?
« on: November 01, 2006, 05:56:31 AM »

Pretty simple, how did you feel about the Landmark show.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

mikehz

• View Profile
    • Day by Day
Re: Did you DISlike the Landmark Show?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:19:49 AM »

It was okay, but after awhile started feeling like Ian was beating a horse to death.
"Force always attracts men of low morality." Albert Einstein

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:22:26 AM »

It was okay, but after awhile started feeling like Ian was beating a horse to death.

I think you just robbed that aphorism of its meaning. 

atheistshawn

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:52:29 AM »

I listened to the whole show, and I thought they spent way to much time on Landmark.  It wouldn't have been too bad if they looked at other cults, like network marketing.  I think Ian spent way to much time insulting Mark and not enough presenting evidence.  After the show I thought it didn't sound too much like a cult to me, then I went online and saw the videos and it completely changed my mind.  It is definitely a cult, and it really is too bad Mark is involved, but Ian could have done a much better job of proving it was a cult by being less insulting and more informative. 

I knew a couple of guys since high school, I climbed with them all the time; they joined a network marketing scam and haven't shut up about it since.  These things really do ruin the lives of the people involved.  They each joined about two years ago now and have spent thousands of dollars on products that they mostly consume themselves as a sales pitch to get other people to buy it.  They have made some money, but not nearly as much as they have spent, and yet they desperately cling to this idea that it will pay out eventually.  I have tried convincing them, but they insist that it is me who needs convincing.  Anytime we have gone climbing in the last few years they rave about how great "the business" is going, they always call it "the business", and then proceed to slam six or seven of their energy drinks throughout the day while yelling about how great they are and how much energy it gives them so others can hear and maybe become interested.  I haven't climbed with them in months because I can't stand being in an advertisement for overpriced crap sold online.  It really does alienate people. 

Sorry about the slightly off topic rant.

One two three

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:53:19 AM »

I didn't hate it.  However, I didn't like how long it went on one issue.  Ian wouldn't even let other issues on for more than a few seconds.  Also, Ian was even more outrages than normal.  It was worse than when he advocated the killing of federal agents.

The group seems less cultish than most religions and Mark doesn't even seem that involved in it.  

I agree about the hour thing (if that much).  Maybe talk about it after an hour only if callers call into talk about it and then mostly just during those calls.
Why New Hampshire?  Learn why 1000s of liberty activists are planning to move to NH.  See the debate in page after page of forum messages, http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?124976-101-Reasons-to-move-to-New-Hampshire

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »

I thought it was fine.  It definitely wasn't my favorite show, but it wasn't bad either.  I think Ian would have been more successful if he wasn't trying to attack Mark and his beliefs as much.  I do think Ian (and just about everyone else) is right, however, that Landmark is not a good thing to be involved with.  By attacking Mark for his belief in Landmark and failing, he's only more likely to push Mark away from him as a friend and toward Landmark.

Trademark

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 11:15:27 AM »

That is what made it funny, IMO.

FTL_Ian

• Professional Iconoclast
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Free Keene
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 11:27:05 AM »

I thought it was fine.  It definitely wasn't my favorite show, but it wasn't bad either.  I think Ian would have been more successful if he wasn't trying to attack Mark and his beliefs as much.  I do think Ian (and just about everyone else) is right, however, that Landmark is not a good thing to be involved with.  By attacking Mark for his belief in Landmark and failing, he's only more likely to push Mark away from him as a friend and toward Landmark.

Mark is going to do what he wants.  He doesn't give a flip about what I think, and I don't have the illusion he does.  This was a consumer report for the listener.  I started the show by pointing out he was a true believer and would deny virtually anything I said.
Please support the show by joining the AMP program at http//amp.freetalklive.com

I blog at http://freekeene.com

Trademark

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 11:32:20 AM »

Mark is going to do what he wants.  He doesn't give a flip about what I think, and I don't have the illusion he does.  This was a consumer report for the listener.  I started the show by pointing out he was a true believer and would deny virtually anything I said.

Ian, I think the conflict between mark and yourself is a driving force of your show. I think you two should keep your job and personal lifes: in their own categories. If he is stepping on your toes, use it to make your point. I notice that you do that anyway, and we think it is awesome; Your Seattle listeners anyway.

Peace  -TM
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:34:52 AM by Trademark »

Trademark

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 11:37:13 AM »

Mark, does come off as the voice of reason when things get tense. Sometimes it seems offset, but still....

*that is all* .. my little two cents.

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 11:39:39 AM »

I started the show by pointing out he was a true believer and would deny virtually anything I said.

...meaning, of course, that Mark might as well have not been there.

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »

Mark, does come off as the voice of reason when things get tense. Sometimes it seems offset, but still....

Interesting, because I feel the exact opposite. Ian seems to me to be the voice of principled reason when Mark starts to fall back on his statist ways, which thankfully has been happening less and less even over the past couple of months.

Trademark

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 11:44:57 AM »

Interesting, because I feel the exact opposite. Ian seems to me to be the voice of principled reason when Mark starts to fall back on his statist ways, which thankfully has been happening less and less even over the past couple of months.

Hey, I could be wrong. If I am, ignore me.  :P

Are you saying Mark has no backbone?  :shock:
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 11:46:44 AM by Trademark »

Porcupine_in_MA

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 11:52:02 AM »

Are you saying Mark has no backbone?  :shock:

Sometimes (and like I said less and less recently)  he doesn't.

sillyperson

• Free the Mallocs!
    • View Profile
    • NH Liberty Alliance
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 12:38:51 PM »

I didn't even listen to it.
Due to time constraints, I miss about 20% of FTL episodes.
It was pretty easy to make this episode one that I would not invest my time listening to.

Maybe it was entertaining, maybe not, but it had no Gard and no Snow Penis.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Did you DISlike the Landmark Show?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.