Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Practical Supercars?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Practical Supercars?  (Read 3807 times)

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
Practical Supercars?
« on: April 13, 2014, 10:11:48 PM »

In engineering, every decision is a form of compromise. When its about building a car, often, its about making the most practical designs.

Carburetors were used till fuel-injection replaced it. Fifties era cars had radial liquid cooling, in the case of Volkswagen, air-cooled engines. When electronics became useful, computers started popping up in cars. But we don't have porcelin-engine blocks because although its extremely useful (it wouldn't need a radiator, and would get amazing mileage) its not practical. A small fender-bender would make it useless.

Supercars happen when you ignore the practically portion of design. (Should we make the seat adjustable? Hell no!) Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Saleen and a bunch of other makes build cars that get horrible mileage, overheat in normal freeway driving, and have parts that are impossible to replace.

They need almost all of their parts custom made, so they're crazy expensive to begin with. I saw one GT40 with a cracked windshield. The owner hit a rock on the track, and couldn't find a replacement. He took it to a fabricator to get a new windshield made. Some companies skimp out on very expensive cars. It was a recent development for Ferrari to put good  interiors in their cars.

Lamborghini seems to say fuck-you to all their owners, by designing cars with gas-caps in the middle of the trunk, and manual seats. Even Honda can make electric-seats. Aston-Martin's drop off by about 90% of their value by the time they hit 40k miles.

You can compare them to commie-cars like the GAZ, Coda, and Porshe 914 in how reliable they are. Thats with tires that cost 10k to replace every 5k miles. Thats an entire Gaz, Coda, or Porsche 914 for one service. And you cant not buy the service.

So, I wanna know, what car wins the supercar title as most practical daily driver?

I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
Re: Practical Supercars?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »

That title belonged to the Acura (Honda) NSX for a long time.  Production ceased years ago but it's coming back in 2015.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 11:56:06 PM »

That title belonged to the Acura (Honda) NSX for a long time.  Production ceased years ago but it's coming back in 2015.

I give that a resounding hell yes, and will add that I like you as a person just for saying that.

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:33:34 AM »

My brother pointed out that the 911 has some common parts with other Porsches. Not the absurd engine though.

-Dennis Goddard

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:37:40 AM »

If it is practical it is a car not a supercar.

freeAgent

• pwn*
  • FTL AMPlifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 10:37:44 AM »

I give that a resounding hell yes, and will add that I like you as a person just for saying that.

Awww, thanks :)

I certainly wouldn't mind having a 911 as my daily driver.  It's not supercar, but it'll do.  Heck, I'd be happy with a Miata.  I just need an excuse to sell my current car.

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 12:08:13 PM »

You don't want to drive the Porsche all that far as a daily driver.  The most uncomfortable ride BY FAR I ever had was a Porsche.  25 minute ride had me sore all day.

Diogenes The Cynic

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:28:48 AM »

Look at this!

http://www.arielatom.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=197

The Ariel Atom. Its faster than a Bugatti Veyron, and street legal. It doesn't have an interior or anything and I'm including this because its relatively cheap; less than 60k. So for the price of a Maserati, you can buy one of these and a luxury car.

-Dennis Goddard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Practical Supercars?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 27 queries.