Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Geeks, in here...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Geeks, in here...  (Read 10567 times)

Bill Brasky

Geeks, in here...
« on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:48 PM »

I just had to revert my whole system to factory settings.  So I'm running on a basically a brand new machine.  

No, I didn't have real backups hosted on this machine.  I managed to archive most of my media on external HD's, so I didn't lose my tunes library.  But all of my settings and stuff are now fresh and clean.  

I reinstalled a few important programs from external sources.  

Heres where you come in...  I would like suggestions of cool programs, firefox extensions (I'm gonna reinstall Opera and start using that more).  Desktop widgets, news feeders, and just generally cool shit.  Freeware virus rubbers, I'll probably go back to AVG if nobody offers a better alternative - but it didn't catch whatever fucked up my shit, so I'm a little disappointed with it.  I'm naked right now.  

So lets make this a geek fap thread of the newest coolest shit you've ran into lately, and some trusty old stand-by's.  I'll also take hi-res desktops, I could use a new one.  

I will say this:  Windows saved my ass again.  True, I probably wouldn't have had problems in the first place if people didn't design malicious trojans for Windows, but after restoring it, it runs fucking great.  I was gonna install a rip of Win7 64bit, but decided not to.  This is Vista OEM, and I'm happy with it for now.  I'd rather not get into the Mac/Linux debates, although you can feel free to dispense a little opinion if you feel like it.  I'm considering partitioning my HD and installing Linux in case windows takes a shit next time, I wasn't able to boot past BIOS and it was pissing me off.  

The weirdest thing about this whole experience, the virus deleted my DVD/CD ROM drive from "my computer", its completely gone - even after the fresh install from the factory image.  I assume thats the haxors way of preventing you from manually booting a new Windows OS from disc.  Bastards.  

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Geeks, in here...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:02:04 AM »

Dunno how a virus would be able to modify your BIOS to hide your CD drive...  Maybe the laptop got jostled and the drive either broke or got disconnected somehow.  You can try updating your BIOS to a newer (or the same) version if you don't think that's it.  It'll reset all your BIOS settings, but it would also clear any virus that (I highly doubt this happened) may have infected your BIOS (I really don't think this is what happened).  No reason the new install wouldn't recognize your drive unless you've got a hardware or BIOS issue.

Good luck, I'll be back for more, but I'm off for a Pirate themed Purim party tonight with lots of booze and cute Jewish lassies.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purim
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 01:25:46 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Use audacity for your recording needs.  Lots of add ons such as export to mp3.

I have no idea whether or not the following program is
A) Safe
B) good software
but...I think the a program similar to the one posted below might be a cool way to talk about your graphs in the dow thread?
http://www.nbxsoft.com/screen-recorder.php

Bill Brasky

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 01:29:51 AM »

Dunno how a virus would be able to modify your BIOS to hide your CD drive...  Maybe the laptop got jostled and the drive either broke or got disconnected somehow.  You can try updating your BIOS to a newer (or the same) version if you don't think that's it.  It'll reset all your BIOS settings, but it would also clear any virus that (I highly doubt this happened) may have infected your BIOS (I really don't think this is what happened).  No reason the new install wouldn't recognize your drive unless you've got a hardware or BIOS issue.

Good luck, I'll be back for more, but I'm off for a Pirate themed Purim party tonight with lots of booze and cute Jewish lassies.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purim

Oddly, it still runs.  I can put a disc in there and it spools up, so the hardware device is seeing a disc.  I can put a blank disc in, and it reads for a while, like WOOOOOSH.  vvet, vvt, vvvveeert, gronk.  So I know its making a distinction between CD's and unformatted discs.  I can close the door without a disc, and it doesn't do a goddamn thing. 

I donno how to explain it better than that. 

The point to that retarded explanation is, it seems like the computer is able to recognize CDs, blank discs, and an empty drawer. 

The CD/DVD-ROM drive is actually the least of my worries right now, although its perplexing me.  I can buy an external for $50 that communicates through the USB and problem-fucking-solved.  I was surprised that it didn't rejoin the party after I restored the system from factory settings, but I'm not gonna cry over it.   ...Its just missing from My Computer drives, pic below. Fucker is missing. 

I'm very happy to have the machine itself running like a champ, without the hard drive making wooshing noises, running hardcore.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 01:38:02 AM »

When I install Windows, I get my programs from the following sources:

• The Pirate Bay - obviously.  I usually pirate Windows 7 itself, MS Office, Visual Studio (once my bread and butter), SQL Server, Expression Studio, and possibly some games or foreign language learning software if I'm in the mood.  Sometimes I play around with Adobe software, but I try to sell my soul to only one corporation at a time, which is definitely Microsoft.  :lol:

• Cygwin - because I can't live without a UNIX-like shell.  I usually install the whole shebang - saves time figuring out what I may be missing later on.  It's slower than Interix and possibly even VM, but it's more convenient.  I also use XMing to run a gnome-terminal from a Linux box, or at least a program called TeraTerm.  Another program I can't live without is ExpanDrive (even bought a license a few years back).

• Other than MS Office / Visual Studio / .NET / SQL Server stuff, the main purpose of my Windows box is to test Web-pages, so I like to have multiple old / current / beta versions of different browsers installed.  The Internet Explorer Collection is particularly helpful for that, because it installs ever major IE version IE 1.5 through 8!

Holy shit.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 01:49:29 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audacity

Use audacity for your recording needs.  Lots of add ons such as export to mp3.

I have no idea whether or not the following program is
A) Safe
B) good software
but...I think the a program similar to the one posted below might be a cool way to talk about your graphs in the dow thread?
http://www.nbxsoft.com/screen-recorder.php

Ya, I had Audacity.  Thanks for the link, I could use voice.  

I didn't use it often - but when I recorded voice I used that.  

Good suggestion.  I'll download that one again.  

I forget what I had.  Keep 'em coming.  

Bill Brasky

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 01:50:55 AM »

Hey, don't quote me, I'm still editing.  :lol:

No, no.  I cap'd it before you said fuckit.  Its mine now. 

Post again with new stuff.

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 01:57:12 AM »

(Post-hopped from above, but may still be edited later as I think of other stuff.)

• The Pirate Bay - obviously, but you have to pay close attention to only get popular torrents from reputable uploaders that were tested by thousands before you.  I usually pirate Windows 7 itself, MS Office Enterprise, Visual Studio (once my bread and butter), and MSDN, but sometimes I go all out: SQL Server, Exchange, Visio, SharePoint Server, Expression Studio, etc.  Sometimes I also pirate some games or foreign language learning software if I'm in the mood, but I'm usually all business.  Sometimes I play around with Adobe software, but I try to sell my soul to only one corporation at a time, which is definitely Microsoft.  :lol:

• Cygwin - because I can't live without a UNIX-like shell.  I usually install the whole shebang - saves time figuring out what I may be missing later on.  It's slower than Interix and possibly even VM, but it's more convenient.  In absence of Cygwin I use XMing to run a gnome-terminal from a Linux box, or at least a program called TeraTerm to ssh there.  Another ssh-related program I can't live without is ExpanDrive (even bought a license a few years back).

• Other than Windows-specific developer stuff, the main purpose of my Windows box is to test Web-pages, so I like to have multiple old / current / beta versions of different browsers installed.  The Internet Explorer Collection is particularly helpful for that, because it installs every major IE version 1.5 through 8!

Downloading Windows software is like sex - the fewer different people you do it with, the lower your chances of getting a virus.

See also my advice here about separating OS from Data and planning ahead to be able to rebuild / restore your OS partitions quickly.  My post here is a part of that plan - it would make downloading all the shit I usually download a little bit easier.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 03:02:13 AM by Alex Libman »

Bill Brasky

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 02:18:02 AM »

(Post-hopped from above, but may still be edited later as I think of other stuff.)

• The Pirate Bay - obviously, but you have to pay close attention to only get popular torrents from reputable uploaders that were tested by thousands before you.  I usually pirate Windows 7 itself, MS Office Enterprise, Visual Studio (once my bread and butter), and MSDN, but sometimes I go all out: SQL Server, Exchange, Visio, SharePoint Server, Expression Studio, etc.  Sometimes I also pirate some games or foreign language learning software if I'm in the mood, but I'm usually all business.  Sometimes I play around with Adobe software, but I try to sell my soul to only one corporation at a time, which is definitely Microsoft.  :lol:

• Cygwin - because I can't live without a UNIX-like shell.  I usually install the whole shebang - saves time figuring out what I may be missing later on.  It's slower than Interix and possibly even VM, but it's more convenient.  In absence of Cygwin I use XMing to run a gnome-terminal from a Linux box, or at least a program called TeraTerm to ssh there.  Another ssh-related program I can't live without is ExpanDrive (even bought a license a few years back).

• Other than Windows-specific developer stuff, the main purpose of my Windows box is to test Web-pages, so I like to have multiple old / current / beta versions of different browsers installed.  The Internet Explorer Collection is particularly helpful for that, because it installs ever major IE version IE 1.5 through 8!

Downloading Windows software is like sex - the fewer different people you do it with, the lower your chances of getting a virus.

See also my advice here about separating OS from Data and planning ahead to be able to rebuild / restore your OS partitions quickly.  My post here is a part of that plan - it would make downloading all the shit I usually download a little bit easier.

I'm gonna quote this one too. 

I appreciate your input Alex. 

Bill Brasky

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 02:44:41 AM »

Would you prefer a more concise quote? 

I'm not quoting you to be a dick. 

I just want to be able to read this stuff tomorrow. 

The ghost of a ghost of a ghost

• Owned by Brasky. Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »

I don't think this post is entirely off topic:
Libman what's up with CNET"S recommendations?  Do you value their rating system? Is it trustworthy?
 If not what do you suggest as an honest site/source for genuine free market review of software?

Bill Brasky

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 01:33:25 PM »

I don't think this post is entirely off topic:
Libman what's up with CNET"S recommendations?  Do you value their rating system? Is it trustworthy?
 If not what do you suggest as an honest site/source for genuine free market review of software?

I use CNET all the time when I'm looking for a utility, but sometimes they leave out similar stuff.  FreeDownloads is usually pretty good place.  I like to use The Goog to keyword search, and check the higher results - like I'll put in torrent downloader and µTorrent comes in on top.  (which I'm gonna use this time around instead of Azureus Vuze). 

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 04:12:32 PM »

I don't know why I use FileHippo.com over CNET's download.com, it just seems more straightforward for just the programs I need, without all the noise.  I know CNET had an automatic update / version tracking program a long time ago, and then they canceled it - not sure if they have one now.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 05:27:26 PM »

Enjoying µTorrent.  Way better than Vuze.  I didn't want to switch when I had all my shit logged in Vuze, but now that its gone theres no reason to stay committed to it. 

Anybody know of a widget utility that basically does what Windows Sidebar sucks at?  I want to keep a signal meter and CPU meter on my desktop.  I haven't chopped through the rainforest of Alex's suggestions yet. 

ForumTroll

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »

Get Windows 7 man. It's awesomer.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Geeks, in here...

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 27 queries.