Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Neat game: Machinarium
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Neat game: Machinarium  (Read 3092 times)

Rillion

• View Profile
Neat game: Machinarium
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:20:10 PM »

In 2003 a Czech guy named Jakob Dvorsky created a beautiful flash game called Samorost, in which a guy living all by himself on a planet discovered that he was on a crash course with another planet, and flew in his rocket over to that planet to try and divert its course. 

Then Dvorsky's independent gaming company Amanita came out with Samorost 2, in which our hero's dog is stolen by some aliens who have landed on his planet to poach some fruit from his trees, and decide that they should take the dog as well. 

Their new game, released October 16 of this year, is Machinarium.  It has a different protagonist-- a robot who has been ejected by other robots from his home and is trying to work his way back in and rescue his friend.  I think that's what's going on, anyway....have just started playing. 

Samorost is free, as far as I understand.  With Samorost 2 you can play the first few levels free, but after that it's $5 for the full version.  With Machinarium the first three levels are free and the full version is $20 and includes a download of the soundtrack.

That bit is important because the music is just enchanting for all three games.  I've played Samorost 1 and 2 several times and still love them, and am excited to try Machinarium now.  Check them out-- I bet you'll dig them.  If you get absolutely stuck at some point, there are walk-throughs online.  But only use that as a last resort; it's much more fun that way.

Here's a scene from Machinarium:

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: Neat game: Machinarium
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:05:42 PM »

Cool, just played the mach demo.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:32 PM »

Beautiful artwork.. is it kid friendly?
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 07:43:14 PM »

I can't give you a full review of Machinarium yet, but the two Samorosts were.  A couple of robots in this one have been seen smoking something unidentified, and there have been some scenes of bullying, but I bet that's as "bad" as it's going to get. 

It might be frustrating for a kid, though, because the puzzles can get pretty tricky at times.  But like I said, there are walkthroughs if it's really necessary....there are even some video versions on youtube if things get dire.   :)

fatcat

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 07:44:59 PM »

Yes and no. Theres no bloody decapitations or nudity if thats what you mean.

Point and clicks haven't really been in fashion since I was a kid, so whether a young kid would actually want to play it over some Pixar movie tie-in grot is another question.

Also, 2nded. Samrost 1 and 2 were awesome, will be getting this as soon as the price drops a bit. (£15 for a linear adventure game with negligible replayability is too much imo)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 08:00:24 PM by fatcat »

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 07:49:56 PM »

Cool I'll check it out. Thanks Rill.
Pocho

Rillion

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 04:25:17 PM »

Here's a preview and review of Machinarium from Adventure Games.  The preview actually has more visual content, including a somewhat spoilery video, but the review's coverage is more extensive.  

One fun part of the game: in order to store an item in his inventory, your robot character literally swallows it.  He flips his head open, tosses it in like throwing something in a trash can, then flips his head closed again. 
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 04:27:17 PM by Rillion »

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:03:22 AM »

I have a very difficult relationship with games, because in the mid-to-late 1990s I was very serious about getting into professional game programming - one of the most competitive fields in the world, and I just couldn't cut the mustard.  The revolution in 3D graphics made everything a lot more difficult and art-focused, and the collapse of the dot-com bubble didn't help either...  :cry:

And why am I ranting about it here, when Rillion will obviously delete my post...

Man, I shouldn't have quit drinking...

fatcat

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »

I have a very difficult relationship with games, because in the mid-to-late 1990s I was very serious about getting into professional game programming - one of the most competitive fields in the world, and I just couldn't cut the mustard.  The revolution in 3D graphics made everything a lot more difficult and art-focused, and the collapse of the dot-com bubble didn't help either...  :cry:

And why am I ranting about it here, when Rillion will obviously delete my post...

Man, I shouldn't have quit drinking...

Its a mistake to think you need complex 3D graphics to develop a good art style.

Darwinia's graphics are mostly done by algorithms, and what little work is actually done in modelling, is relatively simple geometrics, or 2d sprites.

One/few man teams are coming up with all the interesting things, precisely because they don't have the budgets to hash out the same generic EA Sports Football WW2 Space Shooter.

BobRobertson

• View Profile
"I regret that I am now to die in the belief that the useless sacrifice of themselves by the generation of 1776 to acquire self-government and happiness to their country is to be thrown away by the unwise and unworthy passions of their sons, and that my only consolation is to be that I live not to weep over it."
-- Thomas Jefferson, April 26th 1820

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

AL the Inconspicuous

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 05:38:23 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  Neat game: Machinarium

// ]]>

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 26 queries.