Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Fear of Death in Different Cultures

Poll

In which of the following countries / regions do you think people are MOST afraid of death?

USA
- 17 (73.9%)
China
- 0 (0%)
India  (just the Hindus)
- 0 (0%)
Japan
- 1 (4.3%)
Northern Europe  (Germanic, Baltic)
- 3 (13%)
Southern Europe  (Latin)
- 0 (0%)
Eastern Europe  (Slavic, etc)
- 1 (4.3%)
Latin America
- 1 (4.3%)
Muslim World
- 0 (0%)
Sub-Saharan Africa
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fear of Death in Different Cultures  (Read 15141 times)

Ghost of Alex Libman

Fear of Death in Different Cultures
« on: May 05, 2009, 03:51:36 AM »

... and why?   :?

EDIT:  This thread is missing something...  Hmmm...  Some death-related artwork maybe?

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 07:07:48 AM by the ghost of Alex Libman »

Sam Gunn (since nobody got Admiral Naismith)

• A Cut Above The Rest
  • If government is the answer, the question is stupi
    • View Profile
Re: Fear of Death in Different Cultures
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 04:01:22 AM »

USA, we have the highest value of life out of the rest mentioned.
"Do not throw rocks at people with guns." —Hastings' Third Law
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 04:07:14 AM »

[...] we have the highest value of life out of the rest mentioned.

That just repeats the assertion without answering - why?

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 04:40:13 AM »

Because life is cheap everywhere else in the world.
"Income tax returns are the most imaginative fiction being written today." —Herman Wouk 

"If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 06:09:52 AM »

Latin America, more uneducated deeply religious people belonging to a faith that doesn't glorify death.  I realize this is a sweeping generalization and it is just an opinion. 

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 06:20:08 AM »

This thread is all about sweeping generalizations.  :twisted:

But doesn't religion promise heaven 'n stuff, to make people less afraid?

fatcat

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 08:01:46 AM »

I have no fucking idea.

Thats the only sensible answer.

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2009, 08:07:21 AM »

C'mon, you can use speculative reasoning to deduce from what you know about those cultures.

rookie

• THIS DESIGN IS A CLASSIC!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »

Latin America, more uneducated deeply religious people belonging to a faith that doesn't glorify death. 

Mexico glorifies their dead.
Do yourself a favor.

libertylover

• No Title Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 09:10:52 AM »

Latin America, more uneducated deeply religious people belonging to a faith that doesn't glorify death. 

But, I wouldn't take that to mean, Mexicans are think if only I were dead then people would like me.  They respect their dead.  

When I think of glorifying death, I mean when the culture glorifies suicide or martyrdom.  Early Christian doctrine did glorify martyrdom for the religion.  But the church now doesn't see that as such a noble cause.  However, even here in our culture we do glorify self sacrifice of individuals to save others.  For example the solider that jumps on a ied to protest his squad from the blast and ends up dead.  Then is awarded the Metal of Honor.  In Japan and Ancient Rome, suicide was expected and never frowned upon.  Fundamentalist Muslims think if they die for their religion a glorious afterlife awaits them.
Hindi and Buddhist believe in reincarnation but I am not sure that is more or less reassuring than notions of a heaven.   The reason I pick Latin America is while they believe in heaven as a means of being comforted in the face of death.  They are also fearful of the judgment and being sent to hell.  This tends to be a mainstream Christian thought.  

I interpreted the question as a fear of death.  Only a suicidal person holds their own life cheaply.  The argument that life is cheap in other countries only means people are willing to kill others.  This doesn't address the killers' personal fears of death.  

On the flip side I would think the most fearless group of people are the Jews of Israel.  If I am not mistaken they have no concept of hell.  They have a waiting period after death to pay for sins before being allowed into heaven.  No eternal damnation.  Retribution for sins will be taken out during the person's lifetime.  

• A Cut Above The Rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 01:11:02 PM »

But, I wouldn't take that to mean, Mexicans are think if only I were dead then people would like me.  They respect their dead.  

When I think of glorifying death, I mean when the culture glorifies suicide or martyrdom.  Early Christian doctrine did glorify martyrdom for the religion.  But the church now doesn't see that as such a noble cause.  However, even here in our culture we do glorify self sacrifice of individuals to save others.  For example the solider that jumps on a ied to protest his squad from the blast and ends up dead.  Then is awarded the Metal of Honor.  In Japan and Ancient Rome, suicide was expected and never frowned upon.  Fundamentalist Muslims think if they die for their religion a glorious afterlife awaits them.
Hindi and Buddhist believe in reincarnation but I am not sure that is more or less reassuring than notions of a heaven.   The reason I pick Latin America is while they believe in heaven as a means of being comforted in the face of death.  They are also fearful of the judgment and being sent to hell.  This tends to be a mainstream Christian thought.  

I interpreted the question as a fear of death.  Only a suicidal person holds their own life cheaply.  The argument that life is cheap in other countries only means people are willing to kill others.  This doesn't address the killers' personal fears of death.  

On the flip side I would think the most fearless group of people are the Jews of Israel.  If I am not mistaken they have no concept of hell.  They have a waiting period after death to pay for sins before being allowed into heaven.  No eternal damnation.  Retribution for sins will be taken out during the person's lifetime.  
Jews do not believe in Hell, but I don't think that makes us more fearless of death.  To Jews life is the most important thing of all.  Our philosophy glorifies life and believes that one should always fight to protect and improve it.  As opposed to say Latin America where life is cheap.

CaL DaVe

• No hay igual.
  • Que onda guero?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 01:40:41 PM »

This is true but it is not like we are in a rush to die. I think for the people of the region, it is more of a fear of going to hell that is instilled in them that causes them to fear death. The Catholic religion is very strict.

But once you are dead the people do a good job of remembering you by building alters and making offerings to your soul durring Dia De Los Muertos (Day of the Dead)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_of_the_Dead Which is an indigenous celebration dating back to the time of the Aztecs, and modified to fit in with modern culture.

Pocho

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »

I dont know where they are most afraid of death because I havent been to or studied the culture of many countries. I can say that it is NOT Mexico. Dia de los Muertos and all that.
Good people disobey bad laws.
PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
 [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

LordMarius

• The only Norwegian freemarketeer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »

I'd say the US of A, because that's where you'll find the most religious people. It seems unintuitive, but the religious are way more afraid of death then us atheists. Religious people fear that their unstable gods will put them in the place they'd rather not go after death, us atheists do not fear nothing. 

Ghost of Alex Libman

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 04:37:14 PM »

I see fear of death as one of the highest virtues, BTW.  Thus this poll.  Fear of death is the most rational emotion, especially if it drives an individual to do rational things to avoid / postpone death.  As a cultural attribute, it will tell how willing a culture would be to overcome tradition and other irrational attachments, and strive to fight for every second of human life through science.

I think them "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" are ahead of the English-speaking world when it comes to this sort of stuff, and the wealthier Northern Europeans are probably #1.

To Jews life is the most important thing of all.

Then what's up with the mass suicide at Masada?

And traditional use of the death penalty for simplest things?

And all the Russian commies around the turn of the 20th century (90% Jews) wanting to destroy the old world and build a new one, no matter the cost?  :x

(EDIT: the conversation about that last point to be spun off to the "Jews and Communism" thread to keep this thread on-topic.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:02:19 PM by the ghost of Alex Libman »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Fear of Death in Different Cultures

// ]]>

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 32 queries.