Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Up to what point is abortion ethical?

Poll

Up to what point is abortion ethical?

Killing any fertilized egg is unethical
Only the "day after" pill is ethical
Only in cases of rape, incest or threat to the mother
1st trimester
2nd trimester
Up to the point thatl the unborn baby could live on its own if it were born prematurely
a minute before natural birth
Infanticide is ethical

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Up to what point is abortion ethical?  (Read 3828 times)

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
Up to what point is abortion ethical?
« on: January 16, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »

I've personally changed my mind about this issue a million times and I was wondering what you guys think.

I was reading Ron Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto and he was essentially saying that abortion was infanticide. Being an OB/GYN, he gives the argument that if he were the mother's doctor and through if his negligence caused his patient's baby to die he would be charged with wrongful death.

Ancient Greeks and Romans didn't have abortion and had no problem killing an unwanted newborn baby (ever read Oedipus Rex?).

Some (mostly religious people) think any fertilized ovum has all the rights of a newborn.

What do you think?

WallyC33

Re: Up to what point is abortion ethical?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:34:55 AM »

I believe it to be unethical.

Alex Libman

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »

It is never ethical, but it should be legal until the child gets the (negative) "right to life", which is a point where the child's life can be protected without infringing on the mother's right to her own body.

With the current level of medical technology, this still isn't possible until full physical autonomy (i.e. birth) is achieved.  If that ever changes (I'm thinking of a Star Trek episode where a baby is "beamed" from one woman to another), the debate will become a lot more complicated.

Alex Libman

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 05:52:32 AM »

s/baby/fetus/;

(If you find my typo fixing posts annoying, get the modtards to unshithead me!)

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 09:23:46 AM »

(If you find my typo fixing posts annoying, get the modtards to unshithead me!)

If you find his typo fixing posts annoying, ask the troll why he's a shithead. Or, you know, assume it's because of behavior like this.

"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

orion

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 09:40:21 AM »

s/baby/fetus/;

If you find his typo fixing posts annoying, ask the troll why he's a shithead. Or, you know, assume it's because of behavior like this.

Alex is trying to make his e-cock look big by showing everyone that he knows how to do a find/replace in perl.

You aren't the most tech-savvy person on this forum, Libman.

John Shaw

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Think Twice Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 09:46:52 AM »

s/baby/fetus/;

Alex is trying to make his e-cock look big by showing everyone that he knows how to do a find/replace in perl.

This. Also, he's trying to make other people take the blame for his own bad behavior.

Projection is funny.

"Hey, I'm a total cock! Now watch me act like an even bigger cock and push the blame on other people who have shown everyone that I'm a cock!"
"btw its not a claim. Its documented fact."

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 09:59:25 AM »

Shitheads aside.. back to the topic.. I'm interested in what you guys think (shitheads included)..

Alex Libman

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:53:14 AM »

I made an important mistake in my on-topic post, so I wanted to correct it.  I used a substitute shorthand that is so common on some forums / IRC that even people asking how to rename a file are using it.

I never claimed to be.

Look, I don't understand the cause of your hostility, but I appreciate it.  It is helping me cure my addiction to Free Talk Live, the Free State Project, and cooperative libertarian projects in general.  I tried to be helpful - I failed.  You don't want me, fine, I won't foul the air with my presence any longer.

JWI

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:00:15 AM »

Look, I don't understand the cause of your hostility, but I appreciate it.  It is helping me cure my addiction to Free Talk Live, the Free State Project, and cooperative libertarian projects in general.  I tried to be helpful - I failed.  You don't want me, fine, I won't foul the air with my presence any longer.

If you can't see why then your just plain dumb.

You keep claiming you'll leave, so just do it already.

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 11:16:50 AM »

this topic is getting shit-jacked!

Like I said before, I've changed my mind on this, I used to think that abortion was the same as killing a live person when I used to be religious, but then I changed my mind thinking that having an abortion was just getting rid of extra cells in a woman's body that could potentially be a person.

After reading Ron Paul, I'm going back to what I thought before. Since I don't think that killing an innocent human being is ethical..

I still think it's ethical up to the point where the baby could live on its own (wherever that might be). I guess my (flawed) reasoning is that before that point, it's just cells in a woman's body. It's hard to determine when it becomes a human being.

How does abortion fit into a "statement of non-aggression"?

conrad from spain

• Irrumator
  • odi et amo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 11:26:42 AM »

Anyone who hasn't seen this has to:

[youtube=425,350]_xPkYFH4imw[/youtube]

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

1st trimester, although I support infanticide in certain cases... like if the baby has harlequin fetus syndrome.
ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2009, 07:54:55 PM »

Ethical in instances of rape, etc. and as Snuffcake has said, when it won't even be able to enjoy life.

Unethical when used as a means of birth control, especially repetitively. Although I have no problems with the morning after pill really.
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Up to what point is abortion ethical?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 32 queries.