Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  The Question Thread
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: The Question Thread  (Read 432632 times)

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
  • No victim, no crime.
    • View Profile
    • Prepared Security
Re: The Question Thread
« Reply #1260 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:36 PM »

Recently I've been working on a small ebook for Voluntaryists and liberty minded folk. I've finally got a firm idea of what the structure of the book will be and have the table of contents mostly completed. This is as good of a time as any to reveal a bit of it to you guys and get your opinions. Would you be interested in reading something like this? Would you be willing to purchase it in hardcover? What tips, suggestions or constructive criticism do you have?

Anarchir's voluntaryist book (name hidden)
Table of Contents:
    Part I: Tactics and Activism
    • Alternatives to Government Services
    • Making Money the Sneaky Way
    • Peaceful Guerilla Anti-State Activism
    • Dealing with the Police
    • Handling Retaliation
    Part II: Culinary Agorism
    • Explanation
    • Examples
    • Set-Up
    • Gear
    • Recipes & Ingredient Pricing
    Part III: Bonus Pages
    • Printable Voluntaryism Flier
    etc. More parts and subsections to come...
    Good people disobey bad laws.
    PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
     [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #1261 on: January 25, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »

Recently I've been working on a small ebook for Voluntaryists and liberty minded folk. I've finally got a firm idea of what the structure of the book will be and have the table of contents mostly completed. This is as good of a time as any to reveal a bit of it to you guys and get your opinions. Would you be interested in reading something like this? Would you be willing to purchase it in hardcover? What tips, suggestions or constructive criticism do you have?

Anarchir's voluntaryist book (name hidden)
    Table of Contents:
      Part I: Tactics and Activism
      • Alternatives to Government Services
      • Making Money the Sneaky Way
      • Peaceful Guerilla Anti-State Activism
      • Dealing with the Police
      • Handling Retaliation
      Part II: Culinary Agorism
      • Explanation
      • Examples
      • Set-Up
      • Gear
      • Recipes & Ingredient Pricing
      Part III: Bonus Pages
      • Printable Voluntaryism Flier
      etc. More parts and subsections to come...

Id definitely read it, but only buy it because I "know" you.[/list]
      I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

anarchir

• Extraordinaire
      • No victim, no crime.
        • View Profile
        • Prepared Security
      « Reply #1262 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:48 PM »

Thanks for the response! I'm considering offering it as a free ebook, maybe trying to put some advertising on there somewhere. I realize hardcover wouldnt work for this sort of book anyhow.
      Good people disobey bad laws.
      PreparedSecurity.com - Modern security and preparedness for the 21st century.
       [img width= height= alt=Prepared Security]http://www.prepareddesign.com/uploads/4/4/3/6/4436847/1636340_orig.png[/img]

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1263 on: January 26, 2011, 04:55:53 PM »

Self-publish it if there's a demand (and I think there might be). I'd be interested for sure.
      Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1264 on: February 01, 2011, 07:24:31 PM »

Who is Jesus' Grandpa on his Dad's side?

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

Ecolitan

• View Profile
      « Reply #1265 on: February 01, 2011, 07:27:10 PM »

The only religion I know of which believes there is an answer to that also believes that it's none of our damn business.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1266 on: February 06, 2011, 09:39:20 AM »

With their low-price introductory offer, you could join Ancestry.com and find out within minutes. 

yamnuska

« Reply #1267 on: February 10, 2011, 04:32:44 AM »

With their low-price introductory offer, you could join Ancestry.com and find out within minutes. 

Jesus would find out he's related to Triddle.

http://wiki.freetalklive.com/Image:Triddle.jpg

Bradley

• View Profile
      « Reply #1268 on: February 14, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »

Recently I got into a discussion with what seemed like a statist.

We got into the subject of guns and self defence. I stated that it's my right to have a gun, in order to defend myself. If it's morally right for a so called police to have a gun, then it's morally right for me as well.

He then played the atom-bomb card. "So where's the line? Why stop with guns? Is everyone allowed to have their own atombomb? Do you have the right to acquire an atom bomb as well?."

Now this is ridiculous because an atombomb can't arguably be used in self defense without killing lots of innocent people as well. And without governments the atom bomb wouldn't exist to begin with. So in a way it's a highly hypothetical scenario, and those are generally useless to discuss.

I asked him "what hell would I need an atom bomb for?!"

And I have to admit what he did then got me cornered, because he simply took it back to argument from morality.

"Yes but are you allowed to have an atom bomb, is it your right??"

Me: Yes.

So guys I'd appreciate some help here. How is it morally logically consistent, coming from the volountarist/scientifically viewpoint of morality (Stefan Molyneux style) to say that it's ok to have a gun, but not an atom bomb? (Not that I said that)

If you say that everyone has a right to their own gun, doesn't that also mean, if one is logically consistent, that atomb bombs are ok as well? Mustn't everyone be allowed to own their own atomb bomb if they'd like, and no one has the right to stop them from constructing one?

If it's true that atom bombs are OK, sure that makes me a bit nervous. However, it makes me more nervous that some have the right to have atom bombs, and some have not, as is currently the case. Maybe it's not a right to own an atom bomb, but it's not anyone else's right to come take it away from you? Two wrongs doesn't make one right.

BonerJoe

« Reply #1269 on: February 14, 2011, 09:03:25 AM »

Atomic weapons are they only way you can defend yourself against your own government, so why not? It's technically not illegal to have them, per the Constitution.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1270 on: February 14, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »

Recently I got into a discussion with what seemed like a statist.

We got into the subject of guns and self defence. I stated that it's my right to have a gun, in order to defend myself. If it's morally right for a so called police to have a gun, then it's morally right for me as well.

He then played the atom-bomb card. "So where's the line? Why stop with guns? Is everyone allowed to have their own atombomb? Do you have the right to acquire an atom bomb as well?."

Now this is ridiculous because an atombomb can't arguably be used in self defense without killing lots of innocent people as well. And without governments the atom bomb wouldn't exist to begin with. So in a way it's a highly hypothetical scenario, and those are generally useless to discuss.

I asked him "what hell would I need an atom bomb for?!"

And I have to admit what he did then got me cornered, because he simply took it back to argument from morality.

"Yes but are you allowed to have an atom bomb, is it your right??"

Me: Yes.

So guys I'd appreciate some help here. How is it morally logically consistent, coming from the volountarist/scientifically viewpoint of morality (Stefan Molyneux style) to say that it's ok to have a gun, but not an atom bomb? (Not that I said that)

If you say that everyone has a right to their own gun, doesn't that also mean, if one is logically consistent, that atomb bombs are ok as well? Mustn't everyone be allowed to own their own atomb bomb if they'd like, and no one has the right to stop them from constructing one?

If it's true that atom bombs are OK, sure that makes me a bit nervous. However, it makes me more nervous that some have the right to have atom bombs, and some have not, as is currently the case. Maybe it's not a right to own an atom bomb, but it's not anyone else's right to come take it away from you? Two wrongs doesn't make one right.

Two answers off the top of my head:

1) You don't have to be consistent, and have every right to draw a line in the sand arbitrarily with what you think people should be allowed to own.

2) The Principle of the Helicopter Seatbelt. Nifty sounding, yes? I made it up myself. The premise is that no one who is in a helicopter would wear a seatbelt because the probability of death is so high in a real accident. Meaning to say that the people in the helicopter have little incentive to protect themselves in case something goes wrong, and less so for others because if they themselves are dead, they do not have to worry about others they killed in an accident.

The rule of thumb then becomes that in a situation where a person could harm others as a result of a situation where the incentive for protecting others from harm is low as a consequence of a lack of safety for the self can be regulated.
      I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

TimeLady Victorious

• Aprilicious
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1271 on: February 14, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »

Dmitri Ravinoff had an a-bomb wired to explode in case he died.

Get like him.
      ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
      • Global Moderator
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1272 on: February 14, 2011, 01:41:18 PM »

Atomic weapons are they only way you can defend yourself against your own government, so why not? It's technically not illegal to have them, per the Constitution.

Can't do it without killing/hurting countless people who have not aggressed against you.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1273 on: February 14, 2011, 06:17:55 PM »

Can't do it without killing/hurting countless people who have not aggressed against you.

You can still have countless victims, it'd just take longer.

It's a tricky question, but just another one of those "so far out there" that it ultimately makes little difference.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
        • View Profile
      « Reply #1274 on: February 14, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »

You're sitting in a restaurant and your child has been screaming for 15 minutes. Everyone around is obviously annoyed.

A person approaches you and suggests that you could try taking the child outside (it's a nice day) for a bit to let her cry it out.

What's your response?

Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 101   Go Up
      +  The Free Talk Live BBS
      |-+  Free Talk Live
      | |-+  General
      | | |-+  The Question Thread

// ]]>

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 27 queries.