Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Activism and Incarceration at the Hands of the State.... What if?
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Activism and Incarceration at the Hands of the State.... What if?  (Read 3890 times)

Kelvin

• FTL AMPlifier Silver
    • View Profile

I personally wonder if prison it is in some of our futures at some point (especially the hardcore activists), even though most of them are not "real" criminals.  By not being "real", I believe it is impossible to live anything resembling a "normal" life in this country without breaking many minor laws / regulations every day.  

With the way things are changing in the USA, actions clearly protected by the Bill of Rights could soon be judged very serious offenses.  It is not inconceivable that those who take action in defense of their freedom could be imprisoned as terrorists or Sedition.

Check out this definition, it wouldn't be difficult to apply this to a lot of activities I hear about on FTL.

From Wikipedia:

Sedition:
"In law, sedition is overt conduct, such as speech and organization, that is deemed by the legal authority to tend toward insurrection against the established order. Sedition often includes subversion of a constitution and incitement of discontent (or resistance) to lawful authority. Sedition may include any commotion, though not aimed at direct and open violence against the laws. Seditious words in writing are seditious libel. A seditionist is one who engages in or promotes the interests of sedition...."

Insurrection:
"Rebellion, uprising or insurrection, is a refusal of obedience or order.[1] It may, therefore, be seen as encompassing a range of behaviors aimed at destroying or replacing an established authority such as a government or a head of state. On the one hand the forms of behaviors can include non-violent methods such as the (overlapping but not quite identical) phenomena of civil disobedience, civil resistance and nonviolent resistance."

What say you all?  Think in the next few years activists will start being charged with sedition / insurrection?

-Kelvin

« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 11:37:26 PM by Kelvin »
==============================
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds."

-Samuel Adams

SonicThePorcupine

• The gloves are on, time to check your prostate.
    • View Profile
Re: Activism and Incarceration at the Hands of the State.... What if?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:00:41 AM »

I suppose being put in jail is slightly better than being shot by the red coats. At least it isn't death.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:17:39 AM »

I suppose being put in jail is slightly better than being shot by the red coats. At least it isn't death.

Ten times more soldiers died at the docks in prison ships than in the Revolutionary War battles.

Gavrilo Princip died in jail during WW1 from the horrible conditions of the jail.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

SeanD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:38:51 AM »

Actually New Hampshire (New Hamster as my niece calls it) is probably one of the best places for anti government speech in the country since the right to revolution is written into the State Constitution.  Granted it won't protect anyone from the Federal Jackbooted thugs.

SonicThePorcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 03:01:35 AM »

Ten times more soldiers died at the docks in prison ships than in the Revolutionary War battles.

Gavrilo Princip died in jail during WW1 from the horrible conditions of the jail.
I would say that that would be more of delayed execution rather than jail.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:51 AM »

I would say that that would be more of delayed execution rather than jail.

I keep hearing people saying stuff to the effect of "the can't jail us all" but, in fact, they can! The conditions will get progressively worse, tho. And if you don't believe a large mass of people involved in an insurgency can be jailed, remember that the Boers were sent to concentration camps by the British during the Boer war. They sent in almost everybody.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

SonicThePorcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 04:05:42 AM »

I keep hearing people saying stuff to the effect of "the can't jail us all" but, in fact, they can! The conditions will get progressively worse, tho. And if you don't believe a large mass of people involved in an insurgency can be jailed, remember that the Boers were sent to concentration camps by the British during the Boer war. They sent in almost everybody.
Nowhere did I say "the can't jail us all" so I don't know why you're responding to me with that.
What I said was that locking you up in a way where you're almost certain to die is like a slow execution instead of jail.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  Guns, Drugs, and Crazy Independence Stuff
| | |-+  Activism and Incarceration at the Hands of the State.... What if?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.