Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What are you drinking tonight?
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you drinking tonight?  (Read 363484 times)

alaric89

• View Profile
Re: What are you drinking tonight?
« Reply #1785 on: September 20, 2011, 03:04:19 AM »

cotton candy vodka shots  :)

Welcome back Robin!
why thank you, it's good to be back!!

Tonight I am drinking some Löwenbräu pils!
They gave those away one night at The Green Goose in Nuremberg. I never want to drink another one.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1786 on: September 20, 2011, 05:03:03 AM »

Because a sixpack should not be ten-fifty.  Ever. 

Local bars should keep 12's for about 14bucks.  Doesn't really matter what it is.  Pabst, even.  Its the unspoken rule here on the Dirty Boulevard.

I'm driving about 30 mins this weekend up to frankenmuth, mi to snag up possibly one of the last 6 packs of dogfish head 120min ipa in this area.  I consider it a steal at $48/6pack.  I'd expect it to sell for around $11/bottle if you can find it before the next release in November.  Of course I need to restock my triple hops and ipas as I've focused on my wheats trying to find brews the wife likes for the past 6 months.

Thats absurd.  Its just beer.

I try not to drink above my shelf.

Robin

• I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 20, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »

cotton candy vodka shots  :)

Welcome back Robin!
why thank you, it's good to be back!!

Tonight I am drinking some Löwenbräu pils!
They gave those away one night at The Green Goose in Nuremberg. I never want to drink another one.
It's been almost a year since I had a German beer so I have very happy to purchase any kind of pils that did not look like it would make me regret spending the money hahaha
But now I'm on a mission to mend. Everything that broke and make it glisten again. Strip down, redesign, construct, and improve. While the rest procrastinate I'll be making my move.

hellbilly

• Pogue Mahone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:12 PM »

I have to admire your ability to put sentences together...maybe you sound a little like Fred Reed?....http://www.fredoneverything.net/

Haven't bought any of his books yet, but have read everything on his site. The guy should be far more popular than he is.

His site was linked from Roissy's site back before Roissy became Heartiste. Roissy/Heartiste is also very much worth reading.

http://heartiste.wordpress.com/
Give me Liberty or give me Meth!

"We are profoundly dissatisfied with pretty much everything but we can’t articulate why, and are unable to offer any viable alternative." - Nathaniel Weiner

tranced

• View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 20, 2011, 10:54:42 PM »

Local bars should keep 12's for about 14bucks.  Doesn't really matter what it is.  Pabst, even.  Its the unspoken rule here on the Dirty Boulevard.

I'm driving about 30 mins this weekend up to frankenmuth, mi to snag up possibly one of the last 6 packs of dogfish head 120min ipa in this area.  I consider it a steal at $48/6pack.  I'd expect it to sell for around $11/bottle if you can find it before the next release in November.  Of course I need to restock my triple hops and ipas as I've focused on my wheats trying to find brews the wife likes for the past 6 months.

It's not absurd and it's not really all that bad pending on how you consume.  Every beer has their place and time.  I wouldn't drink an expensive beer like that and allow the flavors to mingle with a meal as it's meant to be enjoyed solo.  At the same time I wouldn't drink a killians or a dundees without pairing it with a meal of some sort as alone they'd both taste like shit.  Hell, I even have a 6 pack of labatts and a 6 pack of bud light in my cabinet for people that prefer pisswater over beer.

Diogenes The Cynic

• Cynic. Pessimist. Skeptic. Jerk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: September 20, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »

Had a homebrew pilsner my friend cooked up over the weekend. He had it lager for a few months, and it came out damn good.
I am looking for an honest man. -Diogenes The Cynic

Dude, I thought you were a spambot for like a week. You posted like a spambot. You failed the Turing test.

-Dennis Goddard

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1791 on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:23 AM »

It's not absurd and it's not really all that bad pending on how you consume.  Every beer has their place and time.  I wouldn't drink an expensive beer like that and allow the flavors to mingle with a meal as it's meant to be enjoyed solo.  At the same time I wouldn't drink a killians or a dundees without pairing it with a meal of some sort as alone they'd both taste like shit.  Hell, I even have a 6 pack of labatts and a 6 pack of bud light in my cabinet for people that prefer pisswater over beer.

Sure, its absurd.  TO ME.  And thats how you define absurdity.  Individually. 

An absurdity is a thing that is extremely unreasonable, so as to be foolish or not taken seriously, or the state of being so. "Absurd" is an adjective used to describe an absurdity, e.g., “this encyclopedia article is absurd”.[1] It derives from the Latin absurdusm meaning "out of tune", hence irrational.[2] The Latin surdus means deaf, implying stupidity.[1] Absurdity is contrasted with seriousness in reasoning.[3] In general usage, absurdity may be synonymous with ridiculousness and nonsense. In specialized usage, absurdity is related to extremes in bad reasoning or pointlessness in reasoning; ridiculousness is related to extremes of incongruous juxtaposition, laughter, and ridicule; and nonsense is related to a lack of meaningfulness. Students of the absurd usually note a subtle difference between something like 'nonsense' and something which is 'absurd', in that absurdity is often hidden within either ultra-seriousness or widely-trusted thought.[citation needed] Thus, the role of absurdists is to draw attention to the ridiculous in either 'expert-logic' or 'common-sense'.

Whether it be fact is irrelevant.  However, price is truth, and I wouldn't pay for that.  Thats just a bunch of marketing horseshit, and the guys who brew that stuff are likely not any more talented or educated as any other expert-level brewmasters.  (and yes, I am familiar with the expertise of the Dogfish people.)

Secondly, *I* drink beer in a quantity that exceeds one singular beer.  Alcohol is one of the enjoyable side-effects, and arguing otherwise is simply untrue. 

Now, you can't tell me that you can enjoy four or five and not wreck your palate.  I know I can't, and I don't know of anybody who can.

Lastly, beer is ALWAYS better in draft.  So, as good as it may be, it's never as good as it's supposed to be.

So, you can go round-and-round about that, I don't find it justifiable, and therefore absurd.  I wouldn't pay more than a certain amount for my favorite Porsche, either. 

When people pay for stuff like that, to me, the cash must be the equivalent of pocket lint.  Completely meaningless.  I won't speculate on whether you're pulling down the kind of cash it would take ME to justify spending $50 on a six-pack, but I *will* say, the brewhouse selling that stuff is ripping people off.  And for that reason alone, I'd never buy it.

As I said, I try not to drink above my shelf.

And I'm perfectly aware some people splurge on their 'hobbies', I'm as guilty as the next guy.  But beer, liquor and food have always been one of my private sources of amusement, seeing others indulge to that degree of "sophistication"..  I laugh at that.  I'm perfectly happy with "good", dislike the truly awful, and don't burn too much mental horsepower on the details.  Those who do, good for them, I guess.  But I would suggest they share their ardor with the like-minded, and not try to convert the Philistines.   

My Marxist gourmet friend used to find me insufferable, but would cook for me anyway.  And man, could that bitch cook.

Andy

• Verbose.
  • Ask me later.
    • View Profile
    • My Blawg
« Reply #1792 on: September 21, 2011, 04:48:27 AM »

Oh, I'm with you on all that Drifter.

It's just 10.50 is pretty cheap here, maybe if you buy a carton (24) it will work out that cheap (maybe not). Or there are a coupla store brands that are less, but we're talking real swill.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1793 on: September 21, 2011, 06:20:02 PM »

Oh, I'm with you on all that Drifter.

It's just 10.50 is pretty cheap here, maybe if you buy a carton (24) it will work out that cheap (maybe not). Or there are a coupla store brands that are less, but we're talking real swill.

Well..  on more accurate numbers, a case of Amstel is around $29, I think. 

Usually, in bars they like to double their costs.  Most of that is done in single bottles, at three bucks a pop, which is not unreasonable INSIDE the bar. 

The sixpack is a late-night last-call service for patrons, primarily, and a few locals who want a six to go.

The vast majority of bars display their selection in glass-fronted cases, 12pks and 6pks, and you pick your shit and slam it down on the bar, and off you go.

In this case, everything was hidden away, and you had to play twenty-questions with the bar-girl, who is typically reluctant to spend an inordinate amount of time dealing with the take-out folks.  (because they don't get tipped and the other patrons are vying for their attention). 

So instead of grabbing a "twelve", which by the way, Amstel is available in, along with a multitude of brands covering the gamut of quality and price, I opted for something good to expedite the situation. 

I donno who the fuck is running that place, but when I can go in and nit-pick a dozen flaws in ninety seconds, I won't likely be returning soon. 

BTW, there *IS* a convenience store one block away, where they sell beers for what they're normally worth.  They close at 12, and it was 12:05

Turd Ferguson

• Opportunist Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/#!/realmikequick
« Reply #1794 on: September 21, 2011, 07:54:34 PM »

Some peoples idea of hell is having to mind their own business.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1795 on: September 21, 2011, 09:19:38 PM »

Do they follow the Warschteiner Beer Purity act of 1366? 

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:35 PM »

Do they follow the Warschteiner Beer Purity act of 1366? 

I believe so. Beer snobs that they are.

"Our St. Pauli Girl Beer is brewed with only the finest natural ingredients, without any compromise to quality or taste. In fact, St. Pauli Girl is brewed according to an ancient food regulation still in force throughout Germany today."

Its tasty enough.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1797 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »

Thats probably the one.

The Purity act requires beer be brewed from four ingredients.  Water, yeast, barley and hops. 

I may have brainfart'd on one of those ingredients.  That's what bubbled up through the cesspool of my brain muck.

Turd Ferguson

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:08 PM »

Thats probably the one.

The Purity act requires beer be brewed from four ingredients.  Water, yeast, barley and hops. 

I may have brainfart'd on one of those ingredients.  That's what bubbled up through the cesspool of my brain muck.

Yeah, pretty much that, cept no yeast... just barley, hops and water. Not a bad guess going through brain muck.

"Furthermore, we wish to emphasize that in future in all cities, markets and in the country, the only ingredients used for the brewing of beer must be Barley, Hops and Water. Whosoever knowingly disregards or transgresses upon this ordinance, shall be punished by the Court authorities' confiscating such barrels of beer, without fail."

Pretty F'ing harsh rule if you ask me, but I like the stuff, and it aint 10 bucks a bottle either.

Bill Brasky

« Reply #1799 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »

Ya, I find that interesting.  It was actually one of the first "laws" or Laws that intrigued me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  General
| | |-+  What are you drinking tonight?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 31 queries.