Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system! To begin posting Login or Sign Up.
July 29, 2014, 02:50:08 PM
Search:     Advanced search
189374 Posts in 9984 Topics by 17952 Members
Latest Member: abush
Home Help Search Login Register
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  FTL 2.0 Site Bugs, Issues, and Errors
| |-+  Fixed, Added, or Completed
| | |-+  Fuck Spam?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuck Spam?  (Read 26131 times)

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

Fuck Spam?
« on: June 18, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »

When I visit freetalklive.com and click on "Upcoming Stories" it seems like there might be a lot of stories/contributions that seem like spam.   It makes it difficult for me to get to the relevant show prep stories to vote on them, as sifting past the many posts that seem like spam takes too long.

Has anyone else noticed these messages or is it not spam?  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 02:29:08 AM by Svengali »

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Spam?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:51:44 AM »

It's spam. and it's definitely in the queue to be solved.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 07:44:51 PM »

Thank you for your reply. 

Is there any way to add a ! button next to the + - buttons?  That way, if a reader/voter spots a spam message the reader can click on ! which reports it to you and the spam can be deleted?

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 08:40:44 PM »

This is a good idea, there are a few moderators already, but this might make the job even easier. I will have to see if this is easier to develop than some of the other solutions that are a little more long term that are in the queue.
"In silent resignation, one must never submit to them voluntarily, and even if one is imprisoned in some ghastly dictatorship's jail, where no action is possible - serenity comes from the knowledge that one does NOT accept it. To deal with men by force, is as impractical as to deal with nature by persuasion... Which is the policy of savages who rule men by force, and who plead with nature by prayers, incantations and bribes (sacrifies)." - Ayn Rand

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »

The other day I clicked on " upcoming stories" and the entire page was spam contributions.  I also noticed some comments are spam too.  Sometimes I am discouraged from voting due to so many spam contributions.  However, if I could just click on ! to report it to have it removed, I would do that.  Then, once they were removed it would be easier for me to come back and vote. 

Is there any way to block the contributors of the spam?  Of course there would need to be a safety so a legitimate contributor didn't get blocked from submitting stories to vote on.  Is there a way to add a "safe contributor" list for people that have contributed a certain number of good contributions?

The many spam messages are very discouraging.  The spam has caused me to look over the one legitimate story on a page (and then I vote days later when I finally find it).

Or, is there a way that after a contribution gets 3 negative votes the contribution is moved to a spam folder for moderator review automatically?  The ! might be more instant in getting the spam stories weeded out from the legitimate stories (making it more pleasant for me to read and vote up legitimate stories).

Thanks for your reply and for looking into it.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »

Just an update:  I have now noticed some spam ending up on the "Best Upcoming" and in the "Recent Comments" sections.  Are spammers voting spam up and voting legitimate stories down?  It also seems like there are more spam contributions daily, in my opinion.  I have missed good stories due to the spam.

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 11:59:24 AM »

voting spam up - yes, but not enough. I am now deleting their accounts. Also soon non promoted stories will have a nofollow. - So there will be no benefit to posting on the site.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »

Thank you so much for the update.  I think I have counted 5 possible spam messages in the "Recent Comments" today, and every day it seems there is at least a full page of spam in "Upcoming Stories." Then, when I noticed the spam was being voted up so it would also land in the "Best Upcoming" section......  The spam seems to be a constant aggrivation,  so, thank you for working on it.

In case the spammers find a way to continue the spam.......I have visited some sites that make a moderator approve the first 10 contributions from anyone new before any of the new person's posts goes up on the site.  Or, if there is a "Report to Moderator" feature, on every contribution, I would click on it to report the stuff that seems like spam.  

Thank you so much for your reply and work in weeding out the spammers.  I enjoy this site because of the variety of news from so many sources.  It is frustrating when I miss legitimate stories because someone is trying to sell something like a dress, purse, etc.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:17:42 AM by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 07:22:43 AM »

Just an update:

I am sad to say that when I clicked on "Upcoming Stories" today that the entire page is spam again.  Also, several spam stories are even at the top of page one today.  :(  On the left of the page, spam is in "Recent Comments" and "Best Upcoming" again.  

Are they creating new accounts and posting that way now?

Half of the stuff is posted in another language, so I'm not sure why they would even want to post here, or what benefit they think they are getting?  Too bad they can't be fined by FTL for causing loss of enjoyment to some listeners, and causing some real listeners to miss good information and stories.  Imagine if FTL had a quarter (.25) for every spam message posted.

The couple of days where the spam slowed down was so nice.  

Thank you for all you have done to try to curb the spam (and your post in the stories was great).  
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:43:33 AM by LoveFreedomAndLiberty »

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:33 AM »

Half of the stuff is posted in another language, so I'm not sure why they would even want to post here, or what benefit they think they are getting?

I think having more active links in different places improves your search engine ranking. That's often an even bigger motivation than actually having your links get clicked on in the actual spam post.

Cognitive Dissident

• Amateur Agorist
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 07:01:22 PM »

Spam terms also appear to be showing up in the search terms:

Johnson

• Tactless Skeptic
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 01:49:13 AM »

All gone.

LoveFreedomAndLiberty

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Spam?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:35 AM »

Glad to help. 

Fred

• View Profile
Re: Fuck Spam?
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 07:25:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  FTL 2.0 Site Bugs, Issues, and Errors
| |-+  Fixed, Added, or Completed
| | |-+  Fuck Spam?

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 18 queries.

Free Talk Live Image
Free Talk Live Image
proXPN
Be your own bank
Free Talk Live Image
Free Talk Live Image
Watch the Ridley Report
Liberty Stickers
Mark Warden - New Hampshire Realtor
Math Gate
Midas Resources
Amazon