Welcome to the Free Talk Live bulletin board system!
This board is closed to new users and new posts.  Thank you to all our great mods and users over the years.  Details here.
185859 Posts in 9829 Topics by 1371 Members
Latest Member: cjt26
Home Help
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Smoking?

Poll

Do you smoke cigarettes / cigars ?

Yes.
- 92 (25.5%)
No.
- 201 (55.7%)
Rarely.
- 68 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 186

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Demographics - Smoking?  (Read 54130 times)

thefatalepic

• View Profile
Re: Demographics - Smoking?
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2012, 04:27:30 PM »

Here's some supporting info

http://www.canorml.org/healthfacts/smokestudy.html
http://paranoia.lycaeum.org/marijuana/facts/mj-health-mythology.html

Essentially... The best you can hope for while breathing in pot, is to slow your onset of lung cancer.

All that said... Nobody lives forever ... Just don't delude yourself.

I know this is old but I didn't see this study anywhere in this thread, apologies if I missed it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729_pf.html

Apparently there is no correlation between smoking marijuana and lung cancer. It looks like THC does not cause cancer but helps prevent it.

Bill Brasky

• Emperor of Wisdom
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 11, 2012, 03:49:55 AM »

As of a few months ago, Tommy Chong was getting marijuana enemas for his ass cancer.

Theres no joke here, and I donno if it worked.

But it takes a lot of balls on his part to try an alternative therapy, and I applaud him for it.

dalebert

• Blasphemor
  • FTL Creative Team
    • View Profile
    • Flaming Freedom
« Reply #47 on: November 11, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »

Apparently there is no correlation between smoking marijuana and lung cancer. It looks like THC does not cause cancer but helps prevent it.

Something in marijuana might reduce cancer risk. I've seen studies that seem to show a dis-correlation. It shouldn't be assumed to be the THC. That would be as over-simplified as associating lung cancer with nicotine when there are so many other harmful chemicals in the tobacco that most people smoke.

Meanwhile, there's even more evidence that marijuana smoke is (at least) not particularly tied to causing lung cancer. This makes me wonder if lung cancer is more about the tar. As I understand it, the substances in pot smoke are water soluble unlike the tar from cigarettes so they don't stay gunked up inside your lungs, or something like that.

jerry

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2012, 01:26:02 PM »

Surprisingly, fewer than 10 percent of lifelong smokers will get lung cancer. Fewer yet will contract the long list of other cancers, such as throat or mouth cancers. In the game of risk, you're more likely to have a condom break than to get cancer from smoking.

That the majority of smokers beat cancer doesn't make for effective anti-smoking campaigning. So the statistics are turned around: Smoking accounts for 30 percent of all cancer deaths and 87 percent of lung cancer deaths; the risk of developing lung cancer is about 23 times higher in male smokers compared to non-smokers

When you add in the fact that smokers have 75% lower incidence of Altzheimers, that means that after a half-century of a pack-a-day I will probably die a few years earlier than you non-smokers, while you spend your last 10 years drooling into a bib wondering who you are.  :)

thefatalepic

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »

Something in marijuana might reduce cancer risk. I've seen studies that seem to show a dis-correlation. It shouldn't be assumed to be the THC. That would be as over-simplified as associating lung cancer with nicotine when there are so many other harmful chemicals in the tobacco that most people smoke.

Meanwhile, there's even more evidence that marijuana smoke is (at least) not particularly tied to causing lung cancer. This makes me wonder if lung cancer is more about the tar. As I understand it, the substances in pot smoke are water soluble unlike the tar from cigarettes so they don't stay gunked up inside your lungs, or something like that.

I apologize for not linking to them in my original post, I will search and return some links if you'd like. The reason I mentioned THC is because the studies done after that Kaiser one point directly at THC for inhibiting tumor growth.

Temper

• FTL AMPlifier Platinum
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2015, 06:59:47 PM »

What type of smoking is the poll about?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
+  The Free Talk Live BBS
|-+  Free Talk Live
| |-+  The Polling Pit
| | |-+  Demographics - Smoking?

// ]]>

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 32 queries.